This is me…not being impacted in the least by loose skin from a 185-pound weight-loss. I got up this morning, sat in gratitude outdoors as I sipped an almond milk latte, executed Mix Tape in the DDPYOGA series, made a blueberry smoothie, did a coaching session with a very courageous and hard-working client, ate a clean lunch, am tackling 2 writing deadlines, and later will head out to a cocktail party, all dolled up.
I must point out that NONE of the above would be taking place if the 185 pounds had remained affixed to my frame. The loose skin, however, has never, and I mean NEVER clipped my wings. And it would do so only if I sunk into a mindset that allowed for that. And that, my fellow Truth-Seekers, is most definitely not happening.
Be judicious about the thoughts you feed yourself today. Make ‘em as nutritious as the food you’re eating, and as strengthening as the DDPYOGA workouts – BANG!
I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately centering around motivation. There are people out there, awash with good intentions, yet plagued with apathy (I’ve been there). They order the DDPYOGA DVD’s and that’s as far as it goes. The next step is partaking in some intense rounds of self-loathing and recrimination for not following through. You don’t have to be Freud to ascertain this is not a healthy cycle.
Motivation is a wildcard and I can’t profess to know how to suddenly wield it when the cloud of apathy sets in, but here’s what works for me: I listen to all the excuses and reasons why I should not workout, that day, or at least put it off a few more hours. I don’t give much thought to whether the reasons and excuses are valid or not.
I simply listen to the chorus in my head pulling me away from the DVD and television. Then I get a little amused at what a Herculean effort they’re putting in to keep me from the mat. They’ve got debating chops that a seasoned litigator would admire.
And then (this next part is key)…I go ahead and do the workout anyway.
Don’t wait for the magic moment when your tail’s wagging and you’re raring to go. That probably won’t happen.
The only key I know to making the most out of the workouts is to simply do them. No matter who’s trying to stop you, just hit the power button, unfurl your mat, and begin. It’s 30 minutes out of your day. And a priceless investment in your future.
As I often do when in possession of luscious avocados at their perfect peak of ripeness, I refer to two of my favorite dessert recipes from Clean Comfort. You’d think someone who eats avocados daily would be a major guac fan. Not me. 80% of the time, I alchemize the creamy, rich greenness into a pudding or mousse. On the remaining 20% of the occasions, I simply slice them into wedges, sprinkle with sea salt, and dive in!
As even a casual avocado-lover knows, timing is crucial. When ripeness has arrived, you can’t wait a day or two (as is possible with say, apples or oranges). I’ve learned the hard way that deferring with ripe avocados often ends in spoiled, unusable waste. It was apparent from their darkening skin color and slight give to the touch that the two avocados on the shelf were letting me know it was showtime. I’d bought them five days prior when they were florescent green and rock hard. Now, they seemed to be screaming a quiet but unmistakable telepathic message my way: “Take us, we’re perfect!” It was tempting to wait another day; the evening hour was nigh, I was weary, and had a half-finished to-do list hanging over my conscience. But my love of Pistachio Avocado Pudding and Chocolate Avocado Mousse won out in the end. Using my trusty food processor, I whipped up a batch of each and stored it in the refrigerator to be enjoyed over the next few days. Surprisingly, avocado pudding keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. There may be a bit of oxidization of the top layer, but don’t let the off color alarm you, it’ll taste fine.
I weave you this culinary tale as yet another illustration of what it takes to eat clean. No major drama, but certainly, an investment of time and energy. I explained to a coaching client yesterday, it’s imperative I have treats, snacks, and other food options at the ready for when I need them. I can’t just run out to the store and buy a tub of Avocado Pistachio Pudding. And maybe that’s a good thing. Food made at home is hands-down healthier, more whole, and less expensive. Maybe there’ll come a day when lentil-based chocolate cakes are dispensed as easily as Little Debbie’s, and even then, I probably won’t make it a regular option. Long ago I accepted that eating clean, attuning myself to my feelings so I won’t have to use food as an escape, and making DDPYOGA a regular part of my life is just plain gonna take more time out of my life. But oh what a fair trade it is: I’m down 180 pounds, have infinitely more energy, and possess the gift of physical and emotional freedom. The puddings below took less than 30 minutes to concoct. Not a shabby deal, eh?